I've been talking about them quite a bit with one of my cousins. So, I scanned this picture for her to see. I absolutely LOVE this picture. Probably because it's the only picture I have of both of them, and because Great Grandma gave it to me. There is a special place in my heart for everything they gave to me and everything I see that was theirs.
I loved them as much as I possibly could at the age is was when they were here. Great Grandpa passed away when I was 5 and Great Grandma when I was 14. Natalie Cole had just remade Unforgettable as a duet with her and her father about the time that Great Grandma passed away. Now, every time I hear that song, I think of them.
I still remember the layout of their house. Well, for the most part that is... My mind seems to completely forget about Great Grandpa's den. We were never allowed in there, so my mind doesn't even remember the door to the room existing. I remember their clocks, the coo-coo clock and mantel clock. I remember the special straw cups we all got to use when we visited. I remember her laundry line in the back yard and I remember picking lemons from her trees. I remember all the games and toys they had in the playroom that was originally set up for their grandkids and kept for all their great grandkids. I even put bubble lights on my Christmas tree, every year. It's not complete until they are on. I know they are watching out for me, and everyone else in our family for that matter.
So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you. Thank you for keeping such a good eye on us all. I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment